Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Children Are Our Future


What's the deal with jelly babies these days?

We have a lolly jar at work, and it has recently been topped up with all variety of gummy surprises and sugary delights. But somebody needs to send me the memo on jelly babies.

I remember jelly babies being cute little tubby people with clearly distinguishable limbs and facial features. In the last couple of weeks I have seen the following throwbacks to the babies-o-jell of the past:
  • 'The lego baby' - that most basic of creature that seems to have accidentally stapled its arms to its pants.
  • 'The freakshow' - the poor mutated jelly obliterated by craters of such magnitude that its correct orientation remains a mystery.
  • 'The Swedish chef' - 'the freakshow' with an additional mutation - I giant puffy glob at the top.
  • (And my personal favourite) 'The coy baby' - to my absolute mirth and astonishment, this bub has strategically placed hands covering its privates. I thought perhaps it was a once-off mistake, but, brilliantly, no...

And while I'm throwing the entire gummy industry into question, someone needs to tell all those confectioners to take the white stuff off the strawberries and cream. Nobody can seriously like that stuff. I'm advised by my better half that the white goo 'tastes like milkbottles'. Milkbottles shmilkbottles. All it does is dilute the zesty fruit goodness packed into those suckers. Begone white goo!! YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Ali ali ali.... The white goo is the BEST bit! Not only are we saved from the boredom of ordinary jelly babies (and all their wacky forms), but our tastebuds will be too! The white goo is easier to chew, all the while tasting like vanilla flavoured milk bottles, so provides some variety for our palette. And if I wanted to really try to justify it in a most unconvincing argument (and I do) it could actually be passed off to those gullible suckers out there as contributing to our daily dairy intake. How good is that? Nutritious and delicious! :O)

Ali said...

No. Wrong. I won't hear it. You are henceforth forbidden to post inflammatory comments on this blog Shev!!