Wednesday, August 23, 2006

"Sneakers" Pah!

An interesting observation.

A work buddy of mine, Shev, ventured into the mall today (lunchtime no less), to pick out a new pair of runners. Her old pair of runners were white with hot pink highlights. Her new pair of runners are sort of egg-shell blue with white and maroon details. This got me thinking.

Why do sneakers only come in
zany colours?? All those brazen pinks and yellows. Not to mention spawn-of-the-devil orange. And even those white shoes that went easy on the colours can peel paint of cars.

I just want reserved runners. Softly-spoken sneakers that won't take your eye out. Must my comfy shoes always look so wretchedly horrid with a suit and stockings that I am compelled to walk in heels to work??

I am sick and tired of trying to buy gym clothes that match the wacky sneaker colours I despairingly committed to earlier. Is it any wonder that, in stark contrast to runners, gym clothes only seem to come in white, black and grey.

Again, I would call for reform. But having failed in my rally to convince middle-aged men not to order their Ferraris in corn-puss yellow, I fear I shall have to just let this one go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al this reminds me about a guy who collects sneakers. I think he had over 100 pairs. He didn't wear them, I remember he just kept them in their original boxes.

I have reverted to the black Converse Allstars I bought in 2000. They're discreet and blend in with the black opaques that one must wear in Melbourne. Shame they're a size 9 (I'm a megapod).

Ali said...

What I would give for black sneakers. I had such a pair in Grade 6 for netball - best runners I ever had. Aaaahhh...

Anonymous said...

I kind of miss my pink runners. My new and somewhat dull and sensible runners are all shiny, but I miss that bright yet broken in look of my hot pink hotties. I yearn for those school yard days where other kids (usually bigger and fatter than you) would come up and step on your toes to "Christen" them, all the while crushing your toes. Any takers to come and step on my new shoes?