Thursday, November 16, 2006

I Am Getting Ooooold

I am getting old.

This fact hit me in a sudden burst of disappointment just the other day.

In a fit of unprecedented reminiscence, I dug out an ancient copy of Duke Nukem 3D - the definitive game of my schooling years - and slapped it onto the ol' PC. Naturally, it was with great, no-holds-barred anticipation that I mentally prepared myself for the rediscovery of this classic game.

I exercised no emotional restraint. I could taste the immeasurable victories which lay tantalisingly before me, and had committed my heart and soul to the game before it had finished installing.

Then I hit that glorious "New Game" button...


Well. I don't know what happened to Duke Nukem 3D over the last 10 or so years. But the graphics are crap. And the wiggly running around makes me sick. I can't aim, can barely jump, and jet-packing is entirely out of the question.

In short, this hack of a first-person shooter bears absolutely no resemblance to the Duke of my glory days.

And yet, as I rapidly uninstalled this abomination, a tiny, evil voice which would not be quietened whispered oh so gently that perhaps, just perhaps, the problem was the user and not the game.




Shut up little voice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ignore that little voice! Great memories Ali!! I remember rolling on floor with laughter, the evil sniggers, hilarious chats and threats, and gasps, as yet again, your online opponent, bit the dust and splattered all over the screen! :) Sorry JB!