Thursday, January 11, 2007

Australia Says No To The Plant of Spiky Pineness

I have been most lax in expressing my distaste for that class of things and customs I have unilaterally labelled as being unquestionably wrong.

Ok, so raw eggs kicked things off, and I still back that. But the crazy heat of the Summer season has reminded me of another favourite wrongness. That is, fruit in savoury foodstuffs. Most notably, pineapple on any form of pizza, burger or other fast food delight.

And what is with the particular, inexplicable fascination pineapples hold for Queenslanders? Ok, so we grow most of them. But do Queenslanders just lose it over Summer? Is this the best taunting we have for Southerners?? "Ok, so you have some nice architecture, tasteful attire and serious multicultural diversity. But we have PINEAPPLE... on our PIZZA!"

I feel so dirty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ali, no need to feel so prickly :) It's in your blood! I'm referring to Pineappleness! Your maternal grandparents settled on a 17acre pineapple farm in Brookfield in 1953!! Many tons of pineapples were eaten and enjoyed (but never on a pizza!!) by your mum. So...bite it, don't fight it!!! :) Queensland Pineapples Rule...just leave them off the pizzas, please!

Anonymous said...

What about pineapple chunks? Surely there's a place in your heart for those tasty little nuggets of chocolate-covered sunshine?!

Ali said...

Agreed Mutti. Pineapples are pretty cool - I just don't relish them with tomato paste.

And 'pineapple chunks' JB? I'm intrigued by these 'pineapple chunks' you speak of... :S

Unknown said...

Pineapples are kool..Period. Just like my spelling!

As for the southern states paying 3 times for pineapple fix here!

Issy